Subject: Faded ink

Faded ink

From: Tracey Heft <trace<-at->
Date: Monday, January 25, 2010
I am looking for citations and articles that deal specifically with
the treatment of faded inks on paper.  Several searches of the
various online databases have not turned up anything and while I can
understand why it might not be in the best interests of conservation
practice to "re-letter" any documents, I would truly like to see
where and when alternatives were discussed and the whole idea of
restoring faded text by hand-lettering under uv light was deemed
unethical.  Although current practice utilizes computer and photo
technology to reproduce faded writing, my apprenticeship included
the practice of using colored-pencil under UV light to re-letter
completely faded text when and where it was requested by the client.

Tracey Heft
<URL:http://www.eclipsepaper.com>

                 Distributed: Friday, February 5, 2010