Subject: Removing rust from farm tools

Removing rust from farm tools

From: Frances Halahan <frances.halahan<-at->
Date: Monday, January 25, 2010
Suzanne Singleton <msingleton [at] fmarion__edu> writes

>... I have been asked to assist in a metal
>conservation problem.  There is a collection of farm tools
>associated with two circa 1836 slave cabins on our campus. ...

In about 1999 The National Trust in the UK published a re-edited
version of

    Looking After Antiques
    by Anna Plowden and Frances Halahan
    (ISBN 0-7078-0286-5)

It was designed to be used by collectors and non-conservators
wanting to care for objects and carry out basic conservation work.
It contains step by step information on cleaning iron and removing
rust and corrosion. It should enable the owner of the tools to clean
and care for them safely.  It seems to be available on the internet
in the UK and the USA but take care to recommend (if you do) that
the owner of the tools purchases a 1999 or later version but not the
1988 version.

Frances Halahan
Halahan Associates
38 Kitson Road