Subject: Drying frozen books

Drying frozen books

From: Caroline Bendix <bendijack2<-at->
Date: Wednesday, January 20, 2010
I have been using the ArchiPress vacuum packing machine to good
effect for drying wet books that have been frozen but have a number
of books which are too larger to fit the chamber of the machine.
Rather than buying another machine, I would like to see whether it
is possible to use a vacuum pump combined with a compression bag or
similar, i.e. a bag with  an in-built valve, and oxygen scavengers
instead. I understand that using  such bags with a household vacuum
cleaner can result in damage to the vacuum  cleaner, as they are not
designed for this purpose, hence the possible use of a vacuum pump.
Does anyone have any experience of this method?

Caroline Bendix ACR
Independent library conservator
Wry Furlong
Welford  Road
Sibbertoft
Market Harborough
Leicestershire LE16 9UJ
U.K.
+44 1858 881381

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 20, 2010