Subject: Transporting art by climate controlled sea containers

Transporting art by climate controlled sea containers

From: Anita Hogan <anita.hogan<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010
We regularly loan works from overseas institutions, and it has
recently been suggested that we use dedicated climate controlled sea
containers/reefers, rather than air freight.

I would appreciate your thoughts and experiences on using climate
controlled sea containers.  I have read the 2004 article 'Art to
Hawaii by sea container'

    <URL:http://www.icefat.org/newsletter6/hawaii.html>

but have not been able to find any other sources.  The article
states it is not possible to set relative humidity inside the reefer
at less the 65%--is this still the case?  I am also particularly
interested in the reliability of the environmental control systems
and the possibility of loss or unloading at incorrect ports, but any
information would be of use.

Anita Hogan
Registrar
City Gallery Wellington
Civic Square
101 Wakefield Street
Wellington 6011
PO Box 2199
Wellington 6140
+64 4 801 3944
Fax: +64 4 801 3950

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 20, 2010