Subject: Storage environment for parchment

Storage environment for parchment

From: Yvette A. Fletcher <aps_leather<-at->
Date: Friday, January 15, 2010
Robert J. Milevski <milevski [at] princeton__edu> writes

>What are the recommended temperature and relative humidity (or
>published standards) for storing bound and unbound vellum and
>parchment library material?  Trolling the Internet and available
>books I come up with only two references. ...

The Leather Conservation Centre, Northampton, UK
<URL:http://www.leatherconservation.org> recommends  a temperature
range of 16-18 deg. C and a relative humidity of 45-60% (but ideally
50-55%).

Yvette A. Fletcher BA Hons, MA, ACR
Head of Conservation
The Leather Conservation Centre, University Campus,
Boughton Green Road
Northampton NN2 7AN
+44 1604 719766

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 20, 2010