Subject: Storage environment for parchment

Storage environment for parchment

From: Julia M. Landry <paperlady<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010
Robert J. Milevski <milevski [at] princeton__edu> writes

>What are the recommended temperature and relative humidity (or
>published standards) for storing bound and unbound vellum and
>parchment library material?  Trolling the Internet and available
>books I come up with only two references. ...

The Institute of Paper Conservation (IPC) in the UK, now part of
ICON, devoted an entire volume of its Journal, The Paper Conservator
to vellum and parchment in 1992 (Vol. 16). The articles themselves
are mainly treatment oriented, but there are many excellent sources
of reference.

Julia Landry
Archival Paper Conservator
Leaf by Leaf Book and Paper
Conservation Services,
PO Box 1554
Station Central
Halifax, N.S.
Canada B3J 2Y3

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 20, 2010