Subject: Seed murals

Seed murals

From: Simon Moore <couteaufin<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010
Patricia Smith-Hunt <patricia.smith-hunt [at] ucr__edu> writes

>Our library is interested in acquiring one or more murals and an
>insignia from the Tuskegee Airmen float which was part of the recent
>Pasadena Tournament of Roses parade. The murals are roughly 4 feet
>wide and 6 feet high. Both the murals and insignia are made of poppy
>seed glued onto canvas. Should we acquire these pieces we will
>probably be required to exhibit them for long periods of time. What
>is the best way to preserve these items and are there any special
>factors to consider when exhibiting them?

Factors to consider are: humidity levels should be reasonably low,
45-55% would be ideal and should prevent any chances of germination
should the seeds be  non-sterilized.  Fading would be another issue
and these would need to be  exhibited using low or non-UV emitting
light sources.  I suspect that the  glue may also be animal-based in
which case protein-loving pests may be an  issue.  Finally, seeds
are also attractive to biscuit/tobacco beetles (Stegobium) so keep a
close watch on the murals.  Sticky traps are useful to reduce this
problem and pyrethrin-based insecticides in alcohol (lightly
applied) should remove any pests without leading to germination
problems.

Simon Moore MIScT, FLS, ACR
Conservator of Natural  Sciences
20 Newbury Street
Whitchurch RG28 7DN

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 20, 2010