Subject: Paper adhered to fossil vertebrates

Paper adhered to fossil vertebrates

From: Vicen Carrio <v.carrio<-at->
Date: Thursday, January 14, 2010
Amy Davidson <davidson [at] amnh__org> writes

>Are any of you using paper labels adhered onto your objects? If so,
>can you comment on their longevity or any other opinions about them?

Regarding labels, I have to say that the National Museum Scotland
(Geology Section) has been labeling all our specimens with paper
labels and Paraloid B72 for some years now. We use special paper and
then we print them out.

Things to consider:

    Remember that permanent markers mean: They do not dissolve with
    water!
    Paper must be white with a pH 6-8, have less than 0.3% lignin
    and have to be made of cotton with long fibers.
    When printers are used, ink has to be black (carbon base)
    Use a base for the paper of B72 and a cover layer with B72 too
    Remember to leave the ink to dry

In the last SPNCH conference in Leiden it was mentioned that the
composition of pencils have been change and some of them are now not
only made of graphite.

Vicen

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 20, 2010