Subject: Digital image stitching

Digital image stitching

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102<-at->
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010
I am hoping that someone in the community may have knowledge of
software that can assemble a jig saw of image fragments.
Specifically, I am consolidating and reassembling a small
hinterglass painting with extensive cleavage (approximately 40% of
surface area).  We have finished setting down most of the lifting
fragments that remained in situ.  We are now faced with the daunting
task of reassembling as many of the detached fragments as possible
and restore them to their original location. Obviously, we would
like to preserve as much of the original material as is reasonably
possible.

I am hoping that there is image processing software available that
might assist in this by reassembling the image like a jig saw puzzle
from a digital photograph of the painting and the detached
fragments. Wishful thinking?

Steven Prins
Conservator of Paintings
Steven Prins and Company
1570 Pacheco, Suite D-4
Santa Fe, NM 87505
505-983-2528
Fax: 9860846

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 13, 2010