Subject: Cold storage

Cold storage

From: Robert Waller <rw<-at->
Date: Tuesday, January 5, 2010
James Elwing <jamese [at] phm__gov__au> writes

>I am seeking the names of collecting institutions that have
>(successfully) embraced genuine cold storage, say 10 deg C or lower,
>and certainly below 18 deg C, for a range of materials, as well as
>photographic. ...

For examples of cold storage for collection preservation you can
look at the experiences of natural history museums with several
kinds of collections: Large pelts and furs are often stored at about
10 deg. C primarily to mitigate insect pest risk.

Special collections such as ice cores (and a few rare minerals) are
stored at low temperatures.  I expect there are Australian
collections of Antarctic ice cores.

Frozen tissue samples for biochemical studies are stored in
mechanical freezers at -80 deg. C or in liquid nitrogen at about
-196 deg. C or over liquid nitrogen at <-130 deg. C.  Although a
relatively new technology, we collectively have thousands of
collection-years and billions of sample-years experience with that.

Ideally, you would establish through a risk assessment the costs and
benefits (and expected sustainability) of low temperature storage
compared with other opportunities for investments in collection risk
reduction.  Even if the clarity of argument that is provided by a
formal risk assessment is not necessary for the initial design stage
it will almost certainly become essential through value engineering
phases and, as energy costs rise, through sustainability reviews.

Robert Waller, PhD, CAPC, FIIC
President and Senior Risk Analyst
Protect Heritage Corp.
622 Simoneau Way
Ottawa ON K4A 1P4

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 13, 2010