Subject: University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

From: George Brock-Nannestad <pattac<-at->
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Walter Henry <request [at] cool__conservation-us__org> writes

>Source:
>
>    <URL:http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/
>        programs/certificates/preservation_admin.php>
>   "As a result of this decision, we are discontinuing our existing
>   certificates of advanced study in conservation and preservation
>   administration. ...

This may not be so ominous as it sounds: what is says is that it is
the "administration" certificate that is discontinued, not what was
known as "Certificate of Advanced Study in Conservation and
Preservation of Library and Archive Materials". So it seems that the
core competencies of the School are retained, only to be put into
other integrated curricula. To the extent that "administration"
maybe focussed on costing and budgeting, perhaps the integration of
this subject matter will be an advantage.

I think that we need to have the precise position and visions of the
School on the table.

George Brock-Nannestad

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 13, 2010