Subject: University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

From: Karen L. Pavelka <pavelka<-at->
Date: Tuesday, January 12, 2010
Walter Henry <request [at] cool__conservation-us__org> writes

>Source:
>
>    <URL:http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/
>        programs/certificates/preservation_admin.php>

The link you sent out is in fact accurate. We are no longer offering
the Advanced Certificate in Conservation or the Advanced Certificate
in Preservation according to the  structure we had been offering. It
is hoped that Chela and I will remain on the faculty, and we have
strong faculty representation in digital archives and digital
information.  The idea is to consider our strengths as a school and
see what we can build.  Students can still work with an advisor to
fashion an Advanced Certificate; examples are given at the  web
address below.  We hope to have a suggested outline for preservation
represented there within the next few days, but a few faculty
members are still discussing what might best be included.  The goal
is to allow preservation students more flexibility and more
creativity in designing their own education.

    <URL:http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/
        programs/optional_specializations.php>

     **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Meanwhile, we have spectacular new labs and will use those to offer
classes to iSchool students.  The hope is to integrate principles
into the curriculum so that the entire student body understands the
importance of conservation and preservation.  We are committed to
maintaining integrity and will under no circumstances allow students
to think that one or two lab classes will allow them to call
themselves conservators.  But conservation is an important part of
the information life-cycle and one that is, as you know, sometimes
overlooked.  Perhaps we can help advance the mission and profile of
conservation.

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 13, 2010