Subject: University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

From: Mary Lynn Rice-Lively <marylynn<-at->
Date: Wednesday, January 13, 2010
Curriculum Changes at University of Texas School of Information

This year, as part of the University of Texas School of
Information's move to new facilities, significant new faculty hires
and the shifting funding model for higher education, required the
iSchool to embark on a lengthy review of its educational programs.
Led by the School's Curriculum Committee, (chaired by an iSchool
faculty member and incorporating student representatives), the
faculty is engaged in a significant examination of the goals and
objectives of our programs, the first major review since
reaccreditation of our MSIS degree in 2007.

In the first instance the committee presented a series of
recommendations to the faculty at a special retreat in December.
This resulted in a unanimous decision to more fully integrate
preservation and conservation into the academic programs as core
concepts in the information lifecycle. This integration affords us
the opportunity to examine preservation and conservation from the
standpoint of multiple academic disciplines, research methodologies,
media of expression, and collecting institutions. In opening our
coursework in the areas of preservation and conservation beyond
their traditional contexts, we will enable our students to respond
to emerging challenges regarding the formation and maintenance of
any information collection, physical or digital, within an
established institutional environment or in a less formal setting.

As a result of this decision, all students currently enrolled in
these Certificates of Advanced Study (CAS) will be able to complete
that program of studies, but we will no longer admit new students to
standalone CAS programs in Conservation or Preservation
Administration. Within our Master's program we aim to renew our
focus on cultural heritage in its many forms and to build further on
our strong offerings in archives, records management, and related
initiatives as well as our existing expertise in conservation and
preservation. The general CAS option will remain for students who
wish to develop specific programs of study at the post-MSIS level.

In summary, the curriculum configuration for preservation education
is changing at the University of Texas School of Information. It is
important to note, however, that we will continue to offer courses
in archival enterprise, as well as preservation and conservation
studies. As the number 1 ranked Archives and Preservation program in
the U.S. these courses are essential to prepare students for work
and research in some facet of preserving cultural heritage. The
discontinuation of the previous course requirements for the
Certificate of Advanced study in preservation will in no way prevent
students from customizing a specialization in this area. Our hope is
that the more flexible curriculum will in fact encourage more
students to weave these skills and perspectives into their Master's
program of study.

We have provided suggested elective courses for such a
specialization at

    <URL:http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/
        programs/optional_specializations.php>

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Furthermore, Dr. Ciaran Trace (formerly at University of Wisconsin)
has joined our faculty for the spring 2010 semester, and will
further strengthen our research and teaching efforts in the area of
preserving cultural heritage.

Please let me know if you have questions about these recent changes.

Mary Lynn Rice-Lively
Associate Dean, School of Information
1616 Guadalupe, Suite 5.202
Austin TX 78701-1213

                Distributed: Wednesday, January 13, 2010