Subject: University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

University of Texas Preservation and Conservation Studies Program discontinued

From: Walter Henry <request<-at->
Date: Monday, January 11, 2010
Source:

    <URL:http://www.ischool.utexas.edu/
        programs/certificates/preservation_admin.php>

    January 04 2010 11:40:10

   "As part of a concerted project to examine the field of
    information studies and its expression in our curriculum, the
    School of Information has decided that preservation and
    conservation, as core concepts in the information lifecycle,
    should be more fully integrated into our broader program of
    study. This integration affords us the opportunity to examine
    preservation and conservation from the standpoint of multiple
    academic disciplines, research methodologies, media of
    expression, and collecting institutions. In opening our
    coursework in the areas of preservation and conservation beyond
    their traditional contexts, we will enable our students to
    respond to emerging challenges regarding the formation and
    maintenance of any information collection, physical or digital,
    within an established institutional environment or in a less
    formal setting.

   "As a result of this decision, we are discontinuing our existing
   certificates of advanced study in conservation and preservation
   administration. While we regret the dissolution of these
   successful programs, we are convinced that this step is necessary
   for us to innovate new directions in conservation and
   preservation education and to support the wide-ranging goals of
   our students in the continually evolving information professions.
   The renewed focus on cultural heritage in its many forms will
   allow the UT School of Information to build further on our strong
   programs in archives, records management, and related initiatives
   as well as our existing expertise in conservation and
   preservation."

                 Distributed: Monday, January 11, 2010