Subject: HEPA vacuum cleaners

HEPA vacuum cleaners

From: Martin Juergens <post<-a>
Date: Monday, December 8, 2008
Crista Pack <cpack [at] eiteljorg__com> writes

>Our museum is looking at purchasing a variable speed HEPA vacuum for
>cleaning objects and textiles, as well as display cases.  Most
>recommendations I've come across so far are for the Nilfisk Museum
>Vacuum, but I'm hoping to find something in a somewhat lower price
>range.  An objects conservator I recently talked to recommended
>looking at Miele and that company does advertise a model "S 251
>Miele Plus" as having an adjustable suction dial and HEPA filter for
>less than $600. Has anybody had any experience with this particular
>model?  Or could someone recommend another model or brand in a
>similar price range?

There is a nice vacuum cleaner with a HEPA filter that is sold in
Germany. It is called the Muntz-Museums-Staubsauger and can be
purchased from the conservation supplier Deffner und Johann at

    <URL:http://www.deffner-johann.de>

It has a continuously adjustable power knob and can be used either
as a vacuum or as a blower. A number of micro-tips and brushes are
available for modifying the tube's end. The device is small and
simple, but it seems to work quite well, and, while still somewhat
pricey, it is cheaper than the devices mentioned in the prior
answers to your query (around 340 Euros). Be aware that it functions
with 220-240V, so you might need an adaptor.

Martin Jurgens
Photograph Conservator MA
Margaretenstr. 29a
20357 Hamburg, Germany