Subject: Hostacor IT

Hostacor IT

From: Matthias Blana <matthias.blana<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Within a Roman well in Bavaria we found, beneath other parts of
waterlogged wood, a narrow barrel ring, maybe even the bow of a
crossbow, with a winding of iron wire.

Because of the iron wire we would like to preserve this composite
find with an approximately 15 Liter solution of PEG 200 and maximum
5V% Hostacor IT as a corrosion inhibitor, as investigated and
published in the Studies in Conservation, issued in 2000, with a
following freeze drying. Who has long term experiences with this
kind of solution? Is there a use-by date for the Hostacor IT? How
does it behave after the freeze drying on wood and iron or other
metals? How long does it keep its properties as corrosion inhibitor
especially after PEG, being long lasting hydrophilic? How dangerous
is the PEG and Hostacor IT solution for the environment; may I
dispose it into the sink for regular waste water treatment? Where
can I get Hostacor IT and a safety data sheet for it? Has anybody
used corrosion inhibitors other than Hostacor IT successfully?

Matthias Blana
Lagerhausstr. 9a
D - 87666 Pforzen

                 Distributed: Monday, December 8, 2008