Subject: Water mist fire suppression systems

Water mist fire suppression systems

From: Ellen Carrlee <ellen.carrlee<-a>
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008
The Alaska State Museum is considering alternatives to our Halon
fire suppression system in collections storage.  I am eager to hear
from institutions who have recently considered or installed a mist
fire suppression system.  The space in question has some abandoned
wet pipes that we are looking into re-using for a wet pipe system,
but they have been unused for many years and may no longer be
functional. Unfortunately, the area above-ceiling where the pipes
are located contains asbestos, and pipe replacement would be
difficult.  We might be able to install pipes below the ceiling
instead.  Juneau, Alaska (population roughly 30,000) is not on the
road system and we're concerned about installing something that
isn't yet well established in the museum world.

Ellen Carrlee
Conservator
Alaska State Museum
395 Whittier Street