Subject: HEPA vacuum cleaners

HEPA vacuum cleaners

From: George W. Cannon <gwc4<-a>
Date: Monday, December 1, 2008
Crista Pack <cpack [at] eiteljorg__com> writes

>Our museum is looking at purchasing a variable speed HEPA vacuum for
>cleaning objects and textiles, as well as display cases.  Most
>recommendations I've come across so far are for the Nilfisk Museum
>Vacuum, but I'm hoping to find something in a somewhat lower price
>range.  An objects conservator I recently talked to recommended
>looking at Miele and that company does advertise a model "S 251
>Miele Plus" as having an adjustable suction dial and HEPA filter for
>less than $600. Has anybody had any experience with this particular
>model?  Or could someone recommend another model or brand in a
>similar price range?

Our Asian Art department is currently using a Miele vacuum and we
are very pleased with it. The quality of build is very good, it's
very quiet and versatile. Throughout the rest of the building, for
art and display cases, etc, we use a WAP vacuum that is a bit more
industrial in size and construction, but also a very good variable
speed HEPA vacuum and a good alternative to the Nilfisk.

George Cannon
Preparator
Herbert F. Johnson Museum of Art
Cornell University