Subject: AIC certification plan

AIC certification plan

From: Linda Barone <linda.barone<-a>
Date: Tuesday, November 25, 2008
I couldn't agree more with Christopher Augerson's posting
(Conservation DistList Instance: 22:28 Monday, November 10, 2008).

Those of us who have advanced degrees have already paid (massively)
for our qualification. Everyone should continue to learn and develop
their skills, but the AIC certification plan seems to put aside our
formal education and training. Was our program training (and the
student loans) all for nothing?

And since when is a written exam a good indication of expertise in a
field that is so dependent on hand skills?? A written exam is not
appropriate.

Lets hope everyone votes No to the AIC certification plan. There are
better ways for AIC to spend money and time.

Linda Barone
Senior Conservator
The Treasure House
East Riding Archives and Local Studies Service
Beverley, East Yorkshire
+44 1482 39 2793

                 Distributed: Friday, December 5, 2008