Subject: Pigeon droppings

Pigeon droppings

From: Melissa Heaver <mmheaver<-a>
Date: Thursday, November 20, 2008
I am working on a project where the County is hiring a company to
come in and remove all the pigeon droppings in a barn exhibit space
we have. We had an influx of pigeons over the spring and summer, but
the hole was found and all birds removed. However, there is a fair
amount of "material" on the floors, beams, etc.

However, the pigeons roosted on a beam over an 1870s carriage, and
while the top of the vehicle and 2 of the seats were protected, the
driver's seat and foot plate are now white with droppings. The
contractors who are bidding on the project have done other work for
the County, but have never had to deal with museum artifacts. Since
the carriage has a leather seat, I am unsure what to advise them to
use during clean-up. Can anyone advise me on this subject, or steer
me in the right direction for written materials on this subject?
I've had little luck online with my usual sources.

Melissa M. Heaver
Collections Manager
Historical Society of Baltimore County
9811 Van Buren Lane