Subject: Questionnaire on inpainting with Golden MSA

Questionnaire on inpainting with Golden MSA

From: Matthew Skopek <mattskopek<-a>
Date: Wednesday, November 12, 2008
As some of you may be aware, the Paintings Specialty Group of AIC is
compiling a catalogue on inpainting materials.  Elizabeth Jablonski
and I are working on a section covering Golden MSA colors.  A few
years ago, when this was just getting going, Elizabeth sent out a
questionnaire.  The responses were very helpful but, seeing as
several years have passed since then, we hope that more people will
have had a chance in the intervening years to use these colors. So
we are sending this again and would ask any willing conservators to
fill out the attached survey and get it back to us sometime in the
next month or so.  I apologize for the short notice, but we'd
appreciate whatever anyone can offer.  The more information we can
gather, the more we can share, so please contribute your insights.

    1.  Why would you choose MSA colors over other inpainting
        mediums for a given project?

    2.  How would you describe the appearance and handling qualities
        of MSA colors:

    a.  when used wet, straight from the container: b.       when
        used after drying on the palette:

        For example:
            Is the paint buttery or fluid?
            Do properties vary from color to color?
            Are some transparent, while others are opaque?

    3.  How would you characterize the surface sheen after the
        paints have been applied and after they are dry?

        For example:
            Are they more glossy when wet or tacky?
            Are thinner layers more matte, while thicker layers are
            satin?

    4.  Do you have preferred materials for infilling, isolating or
        other preparations before inpainting with MSA colors?

    5.  Have you ever applied MSA colors to other surfaces, such as
        metal, plastic or wood for inpainting purposes?  What
        techniques/hints do you have?

    6.  What types of solvents do you use, when applying the paint
    with a brush:

        a.  when using the paint wet, from the container:
        b.  when using the paint after drying on the palette:

    For example:

        Do you find that you can use a solvent with a lower aromatic
        content while the paint is fresh vs. a higher aromatic
        content/higher polarity, after the paint has dried?

    7.  Do you ever add other mediums to alter the working
        characteristics or surface gloss?

        a.  such as other Golden products like MSA varnishes or Gel
            mediums:
        b.  such as other materials like varnishes, mediums,
            pigments or matting agents?

    8.  Do you have preferred varnishes (and application methods)
        for applying over top of MSA colors, either brushing or
        spraying?  And, what equipment and concentration have you
        used?

    9.  How have you found the paints to endure over time when used
        in a treatment?

        a.  Change or no change in color or surface gloss?
        b.  Adsorption of dust, dirt?

    10. Have you had to remove MSA paints while reversing an older
        restoration?

        a.  Was the experience easy or difficult?
        b.  How and why?

    11. How long have you found the shelf life of the paints in the
        original containers?

        For example:

        Do certain colors dry out faster than others?
        Do you add solvent or other materials to keep the paints wet
        in the containers?

Matt Skopek
Assistant Conservator
Whitney Museum of American Art