Subject: Scrapbooks

Scrapbooks

From: Joseph Cottingham <vancott4686<-a>
Date: Friday, November 14, 2008
The museum recently received two scrapbooks containing newspaper
articles written by a prominent local waterfront writer from the
1920s and 1930s. The scrapbooks are full of great local articles
about Pacific Coast fishing during a time period that will be of
great interest to our members. Although the newspaper clipping are
fairly well preserved the articles were glued to acidic scrapbook
pages and cannot be easily removed.

We have a number of potential strategies:

    1.  Copy the articles onto archival paper and preserve the
        masters, which would require disassembling the scrapbook
        binding. Many of the clippings are in an overlay
        arrangement, one on top of another requiring several to be
        removed from the backing at the risk of damage.

    2.  Microfilm the entire collection, however, our budget does
        not currently support such an undertaking.

    3.  Interweave the pages of the scrapbooks with interleave
        buffered paper and store in archive boxes. Are there any
        suggestions from someone that faced a similar situation?

Joseph Cottingham
Maritime Museum of San Diego
1492 North Harbor Drive
San Diego, CA 92101