Subject: Magnets for exhibition mounting

Magnets for exhibition mounting

From: Ingeborg Smit <ismit<-a>
Date: Monday, November 10, 2008
Metta Humle Jorgensen <mette.humle [at] natmus__dk> writes

>Has anyone used magnets/magnetic for exhibition mounting? If so,
>what is your experience with it?

At the Rijksmuseum Twenthe we use magnets for many different kinds
of exhibition mounting. Ranging from several unmounted works on
paper, to textiles, to a painting painted on thin cloth. We also use
neodymium magnets, with a double nickel coating. For piece of mind
we always put a little piece of acid free paper between the magnet
and the object.  We have sometimes disguised the shiny surface of
the magnets with acrylic paint or with Filmoplast tape that can be
coloured with crayon. Be careful to have a very smooth surface
behind a paper object, to avoid imprint of texture. And use another
magnet to remove magnets from the object.

See:

    F. Verberne-Khurshid, I.  Smit,  and N. van der Sterren.
    The attraction of magnets as a conservation tool.
    In: ICOM-CC Preprints. 13th Triennial Meeting Rio de Janeiro.
    2002. P. 363-369

Ingeborg Smit
Conservator modern art
Rijksmuseum Twenthe