Subject: Robert Rauschenberg Hoarfrost Editions

Robert Rauschenberg Hoarfrost Editions

From: Adam Novak <anovak<-a>
Date: Friday, November 7, 2008
As part of my fellowship at Harvard Art Museum I am conducting
research on Robert Rauschenberg's Hoarfrost Editions, printed in
1974 at Gemini G.E.L. in Los Angeles.  The series was printed on
silk and cotton cheesecloth with a solvent transfer process, often
incorporating paper bag attachments between the layers of fabric.
The prints were intended to hang by nails on the wall, uncovered, so
that they can move freely with the viewer.  Due to the complex
nature of the construction and the artist's exhibit intent, many of
the Hoarfrosts are in a degraded state.

My research throughout the year will encompass the construction,
conservation, exhibition, and storage of the editions, drawing
additional information from the experience of other institutions.
Currently, I am trying to speak with as many people as possible that
have come into contact with these artworks, whether it be in
treatment, storage, exhibit, or otherwise.  If you would be willing
to share your experiences with me, I would be greatly appreciative.
Please feel free to email or call me any time.

Adam Novak
Craigen W. Bowen Fellow in Paper Conservation,
Straus Center for Conservation and Technical Studies
Harvard Art Museum
32 Quincy Street, Cambridge, MA 02138

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 9, 2008