Subject: Deacidifying charcoal drawings

Deacidifying charcoal drawings

From: Antoinette Dwan <adwan<-a>
Date: Monday, November 3, 2008
Justyna Szpila Verdavaine <justyna_szpila [at] yahoo__fr> writes

>I am a young paper restorer and I'm searching for a proven method of
>deacidification of charcoal drawings. I've read through many works
>on deacidification but most "classical" methods consist of bathing
>the paper in the solution and "my" charcoal drawings are fragile and
>cannot be bathed. ...

>From your description I would not recommend that you "deacidify" a
fragile charcoal drawing. There are many issues that would be too
lengthy to respond to, but it is often not appropriate to
"deacidify" and I think your project qualifies. You might refer to
the Paper Conservation Catalog for a discussion of considerations.
It can be obtained through the A.I.C. Book and Paper Group.

Antoinette Dwan
A.I.C. Fellow
Art Conservation
800 Dufranc Ave.