Subject: Magnets for exhibition mounting

Magnets for exhibition mounting

From: Victoria Gill <victoria.gill<-a>
Date: Friday, October 31, 2008
Metta Humle Jorgensen <mette.humle [at] natmus__dk> writes

>Has anyone used magnets/magnetic for exhibition mounting? If so,
>what is your experience with it?

I am a textiles conservator and I have been using magnets for short
term display of textiles items,as well as 3d objects like baskets
etc. The only concern I have is corrosion from the metal/magnet
which I mitigate with a layer of mylar. On occasion depending on the
strength of the magnet and the material being held would develop
compression marks and another solution needs to be considered or
discs of firm card to spread the surface area and load on the
fibres. This is particularly a concern for felted, flocked or piled
textiles. I am sure it would also be an issue with some hand made
papers or photos which have delicate emulsion layers. I have secured
baskets to mounts with magnets rather than stitching them and also
used magnets to help restore deformed shapes, i.e. inside shoes or
on hanging flags which have needed a little weighting but where I
have not wanted to have that weight permanent for fear of causing
damage. Magnets allow for quick removal of the weight.

I have even used magnets to hold adhesive patches in place until
cured. One memorable repair was done with a patch underwater vinyl
repair, held in place with magnets. The small access would not allow
conventional clamping. Over all I think the use of magnets in
conservation should be embraced. Discuss the varying magnetic
strength with the display designer and make sure you get a variety
of strengths to assist you in preventing compression points.

Victoria Gill

                 Distributed: Sunday, November 2, 2008