Subject: Paint finishes for MDF

Paint finishes for MDF

From: Helen Spencer <h.spencer<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008
I am currently investigating options for materials to be used in
case interiors for the new permanent galleries that are being
developed for the Royal Museum, Edinburgh (part of National Museums
Scotland). The current preferred design option is to use ZF-MDF with
a painted finish that is capable of sealing the MDF.

We have tested and used a number of 'Nextel' primers and paints for
permanent and temporary exhibitions in the past. However, we have
not used or tested any painted finishes within the past four years.
I have also not been able to find much recent literature (post 2003)
on the subject. I am therefore looking for any up to date
information people may have about, the success or otherwise of,
paint finishes that have tested or used as a sealant for ZF- MDF in
display cases.

Helen Spencer
Collections Care Manager
National Museums Scotland