Subject: Spot test for borates

Spot test for borates

From: Helen Privett <hprivett<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 30, 2008
We have recently attempted to purchase some turmeric test papers for
spot testing pesticide residues for the presence of borate/boric
acid/borax.  These have been discontinued and are no longer sold in
Australia.  I wondered if other people had developed or know of a
different spot test for borates?  We are seeking a quick and easy
lab test rather than a test reliant on analytical equipment.

Helen Privett
Senior Conservator, Collection Development and Access
Museum Victoria
GPO Box 666
Melbourne VIC 3001
Australia