Subject: Vitrolite tiles

Vitrolite tiles

From: Fiona Hudd <f.hudd<-a>
Date: Saturday, October 25, 2008
I am an architect carrying out research for an MSc dissertation in
Historic Conservation at Oxford Brookes University. I am studying
two materials used in buildings in the 1930s one of them is
'Vitrolite'--an opaque coloured glass also known as Structural Glass
in the USA. Some of the other trade names used were Carrara glass,
Marbrunite, Glastone, Nuralite, Opalite and Sani-onyx. It was used
in large tiles particularly in shop fronts, in some early curtain
walling systems and internally in areas such as kitchens, toilets
and bathrooms and hospital operating theatres.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has experience of
conserving or repairing this material and the methods used. I would
also be grateful for any information about companies which
manufacture a similar product today. I have been advised that a very
similar product is still made in Eastern Europe but I have not been
able to track down any details of it.

Fiona Hudd

                Distributed: Thursday, October 30, 2008