Subject: Exhibit cases

Exhibit cases

From: Paul Storch <paul.storch<-a>
Date: Monday, October 20, 2008
Diana Banning <dbanning [at] ci__portland__or__us> writes

>An exhibit case is being designed for our new facility and I am
>searching for an appropriate material to use for the back of the
>case.  This back board, for want of a better term, will be used to
>tack items to as part of the exhibit(s).
>
>Are there any materials you could suggest that would a) be
>acceptable in an exhibit case, b) be durable to many year's exhibits
>and wouldn't crumble after having things poked into it repeatedly,
>and c) can be easily be found in sheets large enough for the case?

We generally use Medex or Medite II MDF boards for fabricating
display cases and vitrines.  We coat that material with two coats of
Camger 1-146 or 1-175 Polyglase waterborne polyurethane.  Those
products are strong and durable.

>The architects have suggested a product called Homasote.  The MSDS
>lists the product as a "cellulose based fiber board", which I
>believe would be unsuitable for this environment.  A couple of
>people have suggested Ethafoam and  (sealed) cork, of which I'm
>uncertain as to the suitability for this use.

The following is from the Homasote website.  The cellulose fibers
are held together by paraffin wax.

   "The unique Homasote(r) manufacturing process begins when tons of
    post-consumer paper and newspaper are delivered to our plant and
    pulping employees separate cardboard from paper to be processed.
    The cardboard is bailed and resold to another recycler since its
    long fibers are not compatible with the Homasote(r)."

Paul S. Storch
Senior Objects Conservator
Daniels Objects Conservation Laboratory (DOCL)
Minnesota Historical Society
345 Kellogg Blvd. West
St. Paul, MN  55102-1906
651-259-3381