Subject: Exhibit cases

Exhibit cases

From: Diana Banning <dbanning<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 14, 2008
An exhibit case is being designed for our new facility and I am
searching for an appropriate material to use for the back of the
case.  This back board, for want of a better term, will be used to
tack items to as part of the exhibit(s).

A brief description of the case:

    6 feet high x 7 feet wide x 24 inches deep.

    Three rows of moveable glass shelves in front of a back board.
    UV filtered glass.

    Interior climate will echo the stacks (63 deg F, 40% RH) with, I
    am told, a pretty constant air exchange.

The architects have suggested a product called Homasote.  The MSDS
lists the product as a "cellulose based fiber board", which I
believe would be unsuitable for this environment.  A couple of
people have suggested Ethafoam and  (sealed) cork, of which I'm
uncertain as to the suitability for this use.

Are there any materials you could suggest that would a) be
acceptable in an exhibit case, b) be durable to many year's exhibits
and wouldn't crumble after having things poked into it repeatedly,
and c) can be easily be found in sheets large enough for the case?
Thank you in advance for your guidance and suggestions.

Diana Banning
City Archivist
Archives and Records Management
City of Portland, Oregon