Subject: Francis Bacon

Francis Bacon

From: Joanna Russell <joanna_e_russell<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008
I am a paintings conservator studying for a PhD on the Materials and
Techniques of Francis Bacon at the University of Northumbria,
supervised by Dr Brian Singer.  My project involves the examination
and sampling of works by Bacon in order to build up a timeline of
the materials that he used throughout his career.  The project is
being funded by the Estate of Francis Bacon, which is also providing
access to many of the works which will form the basis of the study.

I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has carried out
any form of technical analysis of Bacon's work and has results that
they might be willing to share, to help provide a fuller picture of
Bacon's practice.  I would also be interested to hear from any
conservators who have treated paintings by Bacon and the kind of
conservation problems they have encountered with his work.  Any such
information would be much appreciated and would, of course, be fully
acknowledged in any papers arising from the research.

Joanna Russell
Burt Hall
University of Northumbria
Newcastle-upon-Tyne NE1 8ST