Subject: Fill materials for bronze

Fill materials for bronze

From: Irene Delaveris <irene_delaveris<-a>
Date: Tuesday, October 7, 2008
I am conserving the bronze sculpture of the heroic General San
Martin in San Rafael, Mendoza, Argentina at the moment. The base,
also made of bronze, is in two parts, united with silicon that no
longer full fills its purpose. I am looking for a material that can
replace the silicon, something that will adhere to the bronze, be
elastic and survive in extreme climatic conditions. The horse legs
also have some cracks that I would like to fill to prevent dirt and
humidity to enter.

Does anybody have any experience with any kind of material that I
could use? Preferably a material that I can get here in Argentina.

Irene Delaveris
Freelance Object Conservator
La Bodega 755,
5603 Rama Caida