Subject: ICON Ethnography Group

ICON Ethnography Group

From: Arianna Bernucci <albernucci<-a>
Date: Wednesday, October 8, 2008
ICON Ethnography Group - Ethno Crawl 2008
London, England
Saturday, 29 November 2008
9:45 am

South London, Near Elephant and Castle and London Bridge
Cost: Old Operating Theatre UKP5.45, Lunch UKP8-12

Directions:  Provided after registration

Come join ICON's Ethnography Group on the last Saturday in November
as we explore two of south London's hidden ethnographic gems.  The
day will begin with a tour of The Cuming Museum and its various
collections highlighting ethnographic and archaeological material
culture collected by the Cuming Family during 1782-1902.  The
objects in this collection cover a wide range of subject areas
including chemistry, entomology and ethnography, as well as
pictorial ephemera such as advertisements and tickets.  We'll then
stop for lunch at The Dragon Castle (Chinese cuisine--cost is
estimated to UKP8-12) before continuing our journey to The Old
Operating Theatre which is located in the roof space of an English
Baroque Church.  We'll be treated to a talk on Victorian surgery and
be able to tour the collection which highlights medical history.

Logistics:

    Meet at the Cuming Museum at 9:45 am on 29 November 2008.

   Participants are responsible for providing their own
   transportation.  There is a nominal fee of UKP5.45 for The Old
   Operating Theatre.  Please note that the only access to the Old
   Operating Theatre is a narrow, steep spiral staircase.

   Unfortunately, lunch is not included, but will be a good excuse
   to rest our feet.  Estimated cost of lunch will be around 8-12
   pounds.

   Please ensure that you are dressed appropriately for the weather
   and wear walking shoes.  Walking time between the Cuming Museum
   and The Dragon Castle is estimated to be about 10-15 minutes.

   Walking time from Elephant and Castle to The Old Operating
   Theatre is estimated to be 20-30 minutes.  An alternative option
   is a short tube ride from Elephant and Castle to London Bridge to
   reach the Old Operating Theatre.

Please contact Arianna Bernucci <albernucci<-a t->gmail< . >com> with your
contact information to reserve a place on the tour.  Space is
limited to 20-25 people.

Websites:

    The Cuming Museum
    <URL:http://www.southwark.gov.uk/
        discoversouthwark/museums/thecumingmuseum>

    The Old Operating Theatre
    <URL:http://www.thegarret.org.uk/oot.htm>

    The Dragon Castle
    <URL:http://www.dragoncastle.eu>