Subject: LightCheck

LightCheck

From: Tracey Seddon <tracey.seddon<-a>
Date: Thursday, October 9, 2008
Fiona Cahill <fiona.cahill [at] armouries__org__uk>

>.. does anyone use LightCheck (both
>Sensitive and Ultra), what types of materials are they monitoring,
>is it easy to read, experiences both good and bad. The usual
>questions really.

I used the LightCheck Ultra monitors in a new museum gallery
containing archaeological and ethnographic material when it opened
in 2005 and found them easy to use and read, useful in identifying
and quantifying a problem and invaluable in securing a solution.
Parts of the gallery received varying levels of direct and indirect
sunlight from an Atrium which it lead off. LightChecks placed
strategically around the gallery showed a significant bleaching in
some cases in just a few weeks. Where excessive levels of
illuminance were indicated this and the potential for damage to
sensitive objects could be very clearly demonstrated by the colour
change on the strip to conservators, curators and, critically,
purse-string-holding managers.  As a result, we were able to secure
approval quickly to put in place remedial strategies such as new
blackout blinds and relocation or removal of sensitive objects. The
visual impact of the bleached cards also endorsed training given to
staff working on the gallery, whose job it is to remember to pull
the blinds at the end of the day.

It is important to date the strips when placed and check and log
results regularly.  Also, be sure to place the strip as close as
possible to and in the same plane as the surface of the object you
are concerned about (obvious really, I know). Radically different
results can occur in a very small area and in the same location but
different plane.

The LightChecks are not cheap (UKP34.50 sterling for five in 2005)
and not re-usable.  They also have a limited shelf-life.  So, they
need to be used judiciously.

Tracey Seddon
Senior Organics Conservator
National Museums Liverpool