Subject: 19th-century hat box

19th-century hat box

From: Lorraine Delatour <jacklosparrow<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 30, 2008
As a student in conservation-restoration of artworks on paper, I am
going to start treating a hat box and its top hat. The box is made
from several pieces of cardboard, covered by blue, pink and light
green paper, sewn (and not glued) together. It has a round base but
becomes oval at the top, and the lid is a curved oval. The main
issues are: discolouration of the papers, major tears, and
deformation of the lid.

I am therefore gathering literature on the following subjects:

    19th/early 20th cent. colored papers: manufacture, history, use,
    etc.
    Identification of colouring agents
    Top hats: manufacture, history, symbolic
    19th-20th century cardboard/paper boxes: history, uses in daily
    life
    Methods for treating warped cardboard

and any other subject you might find relevant.

I am comfortable with both English and French sources. I would be
glad to provide pictures if my description isn't helpful or if you
are simply curious about the box.

Lorraine Delatour

                 Distributed: Tuesday, October 7, 2008