Subject: Monitoring vibration

Monitoring vibration

From: Ian McClure <ian.mcclure<-a>
Date: Monday, September 29, 2008
I am currently researching vibration monitoring equipment to monitor
a three-year period of construction at Yale Art Gallery. I would
like to install a series of vibration monitors, which could be moved
as needed and placed on walls, floors and in showcases etc. Readings
would be transmitted to a central logger. The logger would have a
preset limit for vibration, which after a short period of sustained
vibration above the set level (to avoid one-off spikes), would send
out alerts to those overseeing the construction project. This would
provide real-time monitoring of the project as well as recording
data for future evaluation.  So far I have not been able to identify
a company that would provide such a system. Small Tinytag vibration
monitors are made by Gemini Data Loggers but they do not send data
to a remote sensor. Gemini data loggers make a data logger that will
send out alert messages but it is not compatible with the Tinytag
vibration monitors. I would be grateful to learn if anyone has a
solution to this problem.

Ian McClure
Susan Morse Hilles Chief Conservator
Yale University Art Gallery