Subject: Questionnaire on marble fills

Questionnaire on marble fills

From: Jonathan Kemp <stutterer<-a>
Date: Monday, September 22, 2008
I am preparing an article on marble fills for a UK architectural
journal

    <URL:http://www.donhead.com/
        journal_of_architectural_conservation.htm>

and also for a book I'm researching on the conservation of marble.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

    Please respond directly to the author.

I would like to ask appropriate list members to answer the following
questionnaire.

My intention is to make a snapshot and describe the prevalent
approaches to marble fills and the reasons behind them. I am also
interested in any vernacular and/or traditional approaches to fills
members have come across. All information will be treated in the
strictest confidence and the results from this survey will be
characterized in a general way.  Should any respondent have a
particular contribution they wish to make and want appropriate
attribution, please can you indicate this in your response.

Please feel free to email me at jkemp<-a t->vam< . >ac< . >uk for further
information etc.

1. Please describe the materials and techniques you most commonly
use when making large and small fills to:

a. outdoor marble [white]
b. outdoor marble [grey/coloured/black]
c. indoor marble [white]
d. indoor marble [grey/coloured/black]

2. Please describe briefly the reasons for your preferences.

3. Please describe briefly any vernacular/localised approaches to
fills you have knowledge of.

Jonathan Kemp
Senior Sculpture Conservator
Sculpture Conservation