Subject: Contracts and documentation

Contracts and documentation

From: George Schwartz <george<-a>
Date: Thursday, September 25, 2008
I sit on the Board of CIPP, Conservators in Private Practice, a
Specialty Group of the AIC. On behalf of CIPP, I have been given the
task of coming up with wording and new ideas for a Contract Document
which can be used by conservators when accepting work or other
assignments. The idea is to formulate a Contract / Treatment
Recommendation document which covers most of what we need and one
that is not too intimidating or long.

To help me collect ideas, I request that you send me copies of the
documentation you use when you take on an assignment, be it for
treatment, analysis, survey or consulting. You have my bond and
promise that your documents will be held in strict confidence and  I
will be the only one to see and read them. I will extract useful
ideas, but will sanitize the wording as to origin prior to inclusion
in my report. After completion of the study, your documents will be
destroyed.

By reaching out beyond the realm of private practice, we are hoping
to learn how matters are handled by Conservation Departments of
Museums, Regional Conservation Centers, Archives, Libraries and
other institutions.

Areas of interest include but are not limited to; how you describe
the overall condition of object when contracting for topical
treatment, alternatives offered for treatment, the professional
liability issue, insurance, value and advising clients of the risks
of treatment etc.,

Please email, fax or snail-mail anything you feel might be helpful.
Email is preferred for ease of editing. Documents in French,
Italian, German, Spanish, Hebrew and Hungarian will also be welcome
and appreciated. All participants will receive access to the final
product that will result from this study.

Thank you in advance for your participation and please feel free to
cross post this announcement to other fora.

George Schwartz,  Professional Associate Member - AIC
Senior Conservator - ConservArt Inc.,
8177 Glades Road #16
Boca Raton FL 33434 U.S.A.
561-482-7292