Subject: Hxtal NYL-1 for repairing glass plate negatives

Hxtal NYL-1 for repairing glass plate negatives

From: Stephen Koob <koobsp<-a>
Date: Monday, September 22, 2008
Miki Lee <conservationgirl [at] gmail__com> writes

>A colleague is currently repairing broken glass plate negatives with
>the recommended Hxtal NYL-1 two part adhesive.  Despite accurate
>mixing of the two parts, proper application and framing, and
>recommended curing (at least one week) at the suggested room
>temperature of 75 deg. F, the pieces are not adhering.  Has anyone
>had experience with Hxtal and/or this particular problem?

The epoxies can be very difficult to work with, with Hxtal being no
exception. The weighing needs to be precise, and I recommend a
digital balance that can measure to 100th of a gram. The mixing
should be very thorough, and application should be delayed until the
adhesive is of the proper viscosity.  The edges of the glass also
need to be very clean and the ambient temperature should be 25-35
degrees C, with a humidity around 45%.

For more information, I suggest my book, Conservation and Care of
Glass Objects, 2006, published by Archetype Books in Association
with the Corning Museum of Glass.  It is available from either
Archetype Books, or The Corning Museum of Glass.

Stephen Koob
Conservator
The Corning Museum of Glass
One Museum Way