Subject: Modern paint drying

Modern paint drying

From: Gali Beiner <galibeiner<-a>
Date: Tuesday, September 16, 2008
We are all familiar with the need to make sure that any paint used
for painting interiors of display cases and walls in display spaces
needs to dry completely (and 'off-gas') before a display case or
display space or storage area are used for objects of any kind. I'd
like to ask for opinions on the length of time one should wait
before using a display case with an interior that has been painted
with modern acrylic water-based commercial paints of the type used
for interior walls in residential homes.

At least one manufacturer of this kind of paint says it only takes
one day before the paint dries completely, with no off-gassing of
anything whatsoever. Here at the Bible Lands Museum in Israel we
normally prefer to wait considerably longer to make sure that no
humidity and no other substances are accumulating in a small,
enclosed space. However, it will help to know what other museum
professionals feel on this subject regarding acrylic wall paints
(because they are acrylic, not oil-based).

Gali Beiner (ACR)
Bible Lands Museum, Jerusalem, Israel

                Distributed: Sunday, September 21, 2008