Subject: Marking

Marking

From: David Giles <dgiles<-a>
Date: Monday, September 8, 2008
Seren Fisher <s.fisher [at] nhm__ac__uk> writes

>We are currently reviewing the type of ink we use to mark our art
>collections ...

We use an etching ink (Burnt Umber 603) to stamp the versos of all
objects on paper. This is available from

    T N  Lawrence and Son Ltd
    208 Portland Road
    Hove BN3 5QT
    UK
    +44 845 644 3232
    +44 1273 260260
    artbox<-a t->lawrence< . >co< . >uk
    <URL:http://www.lawrence.co.uk/>

We use metal numerals (8 point Times Roman) and letters (8 point
Times Modern) which are held together in a type holder. These and
collection stamps which we also use, can be purchased from a company
called Stephenson Blake who will make the stamps from a given
design. They currently reside at:

    Trafalger Works
    Effingham Road
    Sheffield S9 3QA
    UK
    +44 114 2796863
    info<-a t->stephensonandblake< . >com

The registration number is applied with light pressure to an area on
the verso of the print or drawing corresponding to a dark area on
the recto. In certain situations, i.e. if a print is executed on
very thin tissue, we would use a white etching ink. The last tube of
this we brought was from

    Cornelissen
    Great Russell Street
    +44 20 7636 1045

and was Charbonnel Etching Ink (Snow White R.S.)

David Giles
Conservation Mounter
Department of Conservation and Scientific Research
The British Museum
Great Russell Street
London WC1B 3DG
+44 207 323 8296