Subject: Lab lighting

Lab lighting

From: Mark Giles MacKenzie <mark.mackenzie<-a>
Date: Tuesday, August 12, 2008
After searching the archive it appears that this query has come up
before but I didn't find an answer I could use so please bear with
me.

Our laboratory is currently lit with the older generation
fluorescent fixtures and what is by now a hodge podge of tubes due
to supply issues. We have some outdoor light but not enough and it
does change throughout the day.

I am going to replace the fixtures to use the modern and more
efficient T8 bulbs.

My query is what fluorescent tube with a full spectrum, high CRI
(equal to or greater than 92), low UV emittance and a color
temperature near 5000K has found favor with other conservators for
general laboratory lighting?

Once this is done we will be redoing the task lighting for
individual work stations so if anyone has suggestions based upon
what they have found works I would appreciate hearing about it.

Mark MacKenzie,
Director of Conservation
Museum Resources Division
Department of Cultural Affairs