Subject: Proposed ban on dichloromethane (DCM)

Proposed ban on dichloromethane (DCM)

From: Gundula Tutt <gundula.tutt<-a>
Date: Sunday, August 3, 2008
Mark Vine <vpackthread [at] aol__com> writes

Philip Poels <philip.poels [at] stripperspaintremovers__com> writes

>The EU is proposing to ban an ingredient fundamental to 90% of all
>paint removers sold. All paint removers or graffiti removers
>containing DCM (Methylene Chloride), a key ingredient of 90% of all
>paint removers sold, would be banned by the EU legislation,
>including our products Strippers NB-410, NB-510, NB-610 and G-102,
>and those of *all* other manufacturers--including the most
>well-known brand, Nitromors.

I have sent an inquiry on this subject to the Ministry of the
Environment in Germany. The officials there confirmed, that the EU
plans to change legislation as follows:

    *   paint removers containing dichloromethane shall not be sold
        to private users any more

    *   such products will remain available to all industrial users

    *   professional users (as conservators) will be required a
        short training to be qualified to buy such materials

This means, such products will still be available if needed.

The officials in Germany are aware, that for example to strip modern
water-based paint media these harmful products cannot be avoided in
all cases. This may be handled a little different in other EU
countries, but I think, in a similar way.

Gundula Tutt
Raiffeisenstrasse 9
79238 Ehrenkirchen

                 Distributed: Saturday, August 9, 2008