Subject: Gilding

Gilding

From: Gundula Tutt <gundula.tutt<-a>
Date: Saturday, July 26, 2008
Ellen van Bork <evanbork [at] gmail__com> writes

>To do this research I will need silver coupons that have been fire
>gilded. In the Netherlands I can't find any company that can help me
>with this. I would like to know if there is still any company
>(preferably in Europe) that still fire gilds. Also any information
>about mercury/fire/amalgam- gilding and the delamination of gildings
>on silver is more than welcome. I'm also very curious to know if the
>delamination of gilding on silver artefacts is a common problem.

I would recommend to contact Dr. Kinder at the FEM Institute in
Germany:

    Forschungsinstitut
    Edelmetalle and Metallchemie
    Katharinenstr. 17
    D-73525 Schwabisch Gmund
    +49 7171 1006 0
    Fax: +49 7171 1006 54
    fem<-a t->fem-online< . >de
    <URL:http://www.fem-online.de/>

He may know specialized firms which still do fire gilding and can
provide more information on this subject.

To my knowledge, there is one company in Germany offering services
in fire gilding, but I have no personal experience with their work:

    <URL:http://www.rothaeuser.de/feuer.html>

Gundula Tutt
Raiffeisenstr. 9
79238 Ehrenkirchen