Subject: Exhibiting paper

Exhibiting paper

From: Lyn Stoll <lyn.stoll<-a>
Date: Monday, July 21, 2008
Brenda Bernier <bernier3 [at] hotmail__com> writes

>Patricia S. Griffin <cuprorivaite [at] hotmail__com> writes
>
>>Has anyone researched/evaluated exhibition mounting tapes? What
>>methods do you recommend for display of fragile historic paper
>>artifacts.
>
>Instead of attaching the encapsulated document to a backing board,
>you might want to try a "back and wrap" technique. The document is
>placed on a piece of archival matboard, sized just larger than the
>object. Mylar is then wrapped around the document and secured
>directly to the back of the matboard. It's a safe technique and
>looks very clean on display.

I find that matboard by itself warps very quickly and I would never
mount anything just to matboard unless the item was only going to be
on display for a very short time. If I had an item that was very
fragile, I would display it lying flat with a supported matboard
under the item and a piece of mylar cut to fit the item lying gently
on the top of the item.

Lyn Stoll
Exhibit Preparator
Southwest Collection/Special Collections Library
Texas Tech University
Lubbock, TX

                   Distributed: Friday, July 25, 2008