Subject: Displaying embroidery

Displaying embroidery

From: Deborah Lee Trupin <deborah.trupin<-a>
Date: Monday, July 21, 2008
Christy Jones <litsavant [at] hotmail__com> writes

>We have plans to display a piece of embroidery, roughly 15 inches
>square, fraying at the edges, rather worn. Currently, the plan is to
>have it sandwiched between two pieces of glass and then the whole
>assembly will lie at (probably) a 30 inch angle on a plinth.

Sandwiching a textile between 2 pieces of glass or Plexi is almost
always not successful, even for something as small as yours.  The
textile will, over time, "slump".

Even if your resources and time are limited, I urge you to have a
professional textile conservator work on this pieces.

Deborah Lee Trupin
Textile Conservator
New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
    Bureau of Historic Sites
Peebles Island
PO Box 219
Waterford, NY 12188 USA