Subject: Paper stained by Bestine

Paper stained by Bestine

From: Leonora Weaver <brobury<-a>
Date: Friday, July 18, 2008
I have a Bien edition chromolithograph Audubon print that had been
dry mounted down sometime in the 1950-60's. After testing we found
that Bestine removed it well and (or so we thought) safely. However,
these tissues tend to really stick in some areas so we "poulticed" a
small are with paper towel soaked in Bestine, thinking it would help
to loosen it once we got up to the area. Much to our surprise, it
left ring stains after drying. We hydrated the paper but it did not
disappear, We have bathed the whole in print in Bestine with no
luck. We've used suction table method as well. Can anyone suggest a
way to get these rings out? I am totally flummoxed on this one.

Leonora Weaver

                  Distributed: Saturday, July 19, 2008