Subject: Anoxic museum cases

Anoxic museum cases

From: Evelyne Enijders <evelynesnijders<-a>
Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2008
As a student of the Limburg Conservation Institute (SRAL) I am
currently doing an internship at the KroellerMuellerMuseum
investigating the possibilities concerning the treatment of an
object by Louise Bourgeois, called "Double Negative" from 1963. The
object is made of gypsum (hollow core) with a latex skin which is
quite deteriorated. Thoughts have risen about placing the object in
an anoxic vitrine on permanent display. I would like to do some
research about (rubber/latex objects in) anoxic microclimate museum
cases.

What I would like to know is, if someone has (had) any experience
with anoxic vitrines and could share information about the
following;

    For what type of objects were the anoxic museum cases developed?

    Were they newly made of developed from already existing vitrines
    or museum case parts?

    Do they meet the expectations you had about the system?

    What are the costs involved having the anoxic vitrine developed
    but also maintained?

    How time consuming is the maintenance?

    Are there any safety risk for staff and/of visitors of the
    museum (leakage of gasses)?

Any general information about the treatment of degraded latex
objects or the existing types of anoxic museum cases (types of
static or dynamic systems) would be more then welcome as well.

Evelyne Snijders
Czaar Peterstraat 143-2
1018 PH Amsterdam
+31 6 33 04 16 04