Subject: Mounting building movement monitor

Mounting building movement monitor

From: Kang Shua Yeo <kangshua<-a>
Date: Monday, June 30, 2008
A structural consultant proposed to us to install a stainless steel
bracket for the monitoring of building movement onto a historic cast
iron structure. This is required as there will be extensive earth
work in neighbouring plots.

Personally, I am not inclined to mount anything directly on the cast
iron structure but it seems that it is a necessary evil in this
situation. I am concerned with the proposed mounting method of the
bracket which uses epoxy. Epoxy is proposed as the bond will be
strong for accurate periodic survey readings. This bracket is to be
mounted for a period of 3 to 5 years.

Do DistList members have any experience with epoxy on cast iron
materials? What effects it will have on cast iron upon its removal
(removal using chemical to break the bond)?

Yeo Kang Shua, PhD
Architectural Consultant
Preservation of Monuments Board
Singapore